Larry A. Hickman
Prof. Dr. Larry A. Hickman The Center for Dewey Studies Southern Illinois University Carbondale Carbondale, IL 62901
Email: Lhickman@siu.edu www: http://mypage.siu.edu/lhickman/
- 1993- Professor of Philosophy and Director of The Center for Dewey Studies, Southern Illinois University Carbondale
- 1989-93 Professor of Philosophy, Texas A&M University
- 1991 Visiting Lecturer, Charles University, Prague, Czechoslovakia
- 1981 Council on the International Exchange of Scholars Fellow, University of Navarra, Pamplona, Spain
- 1980-89 Associate Professor of Philosophy, Texas A&M University
- 1974-80 Assistant Professor of Philosophy, Texas A&M University
- 1973-74 Assistant Professor of Philosophy, The University of Texas at Austin
- 1971-73 Alexander von Humboldt Postdoctoral Fellow, Universität Erlangen and Universität Saarbrücken, West Germany
- Ph.D. The University of Texas at Austin, 1971
- B.A. Hardin-Simmons University, 1964
Honors and awards
- 2007 Honorary Doctorate, University of Cologne, Germany.
- 2007 The 2007-2010 Phi Kappa Phi National Scholar Award.
- 2005 Honorary Doctorate, Soka University, Tokyo, Japan.
- 2005 Elected President, the John Dewey Society.
- 2002 Southern Illinois University Carbondale “Outstanding Scholar for 2002.”
- 2002 Elected President, Society for the Advancement of American Philosophy.
- 2000 “Dean‟s Appreciation Award,” presented by the Dean of the College of Liberal Arts at Southern Illinois University Carbondale “to faculty who serve the college particularly well as teachers and scholars.”
- 1999 “Outstanding Academic Title, 1999” award from Choice for The Correspondence of John Dewey. Vol. 1: 1871-1918. General Editor. Charlottesville, Va.: InteLex Corporation, 1999.
- 1999 “Outstanding Academic Title, 1999” award from Choice for The Essential Dewey. Vol. I: Pragmatism, Education, and Democracy. Vol. II: Ethics, Logic, Psychology. Edited and with introductions (with Thomas Alexander). Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1998.
- 1996 Elected President of Southern Illinois University Chapter of Phi Kappa Phi
- 1995 “Award for Scholarly Achievement,” from Phi Kappa Phi, Southern Illinois University at Carbondale Chapter.
- 1993 Elected President, Society for Philosophy and Technology.
- 1990 “Outstanding Academic Book, 1990” Award from Choice for John Dewey's Pragmatic Technology. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1990.
- 1989 Elected President, Southwestern Philosophical Society.
- 1989 Distinguished Teaching Award, presented by the Association of Former Students, Texas A&M University.
- 1982 Book of the Year Award (1982) from the American Journal of Nursing for Technology and Human Affairs, edited and with an introduction by Larry Hickman and Azizah al-Hibri. St. Louis, Mo.: C. V. Mosby Co., 1981.
See his professional homepage: http://mypage.siu.edu/lhickman/